Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Goodmorning Vietna... I mean .NET!

It's another day working on the Membership Provider for my project. I've been having a rather interesting time getting it to do max password tries without requiring a password Question and Answer. I hope I can get away with it in the end. I don't really want or need the Q&A section for this project so I'd rather do without it.

In other news I came up with a somewhat slicker way of dealing with the -1 issue between Oracle and .NET. It's made all of the database code (except in one instance) much more generic. Just create a database, add a command when you need one, add params, and execute. No muss, no fuss. Connections are managed and cleaned up in all cases save dataReaders, and those you just need to dispose of when you're finished. Again, rather straight forward and easy. I'm glad to finally be to this point as it makes database interaction very slick. I have to admit, the DAAB was definitely a good idea. I can only imagine how nice it is when hitting SQL Server 05.

Anyways, enough rambling on that. There's one piece of interesting news, and that's the MSFT Vista delay. I am very disappointed in the execution of the .NET portion when it comes to Vista. There are some excellent articles regarding it by Richard Grimes. This article deals with the amazing disappearance of .NET from Vista, and this article gives a compelling discussion on .NET managed code that is, in fact, repeatable and un-biased. It also shows, I think, why MSFT is crazy to give .NET a smaller role in Vista. Especially considering the impact multi-core processors have on .NET execution performance.

Do you have an opinion? If so, please share it.

No comments: